Monday, December 3, 2012

Unplugging


Unplugging; I wonder what the pilgrims our ancestors thought the word unplugging meant.  Webster defines unplug as to take the plug out, to remove an obstruction from, to remove from a socket or receptacle, to disconnect from an electric circuit by removing a plug.  What I find interesting is that this word wasn’t around until 1775 per Mr. Webster.   And now even my 6 year old understands the term of unplugging from technology.    But my question to answer is why it is important and sometime a necessity to “Unplug.”

I’ll be the first to admit I suck at Unplugging.  It’s hard especially as a “Sales Guy” and Small business owner to unplug.  In today’s dog eat dog sales world we have to sometimes be the first to respond via email or a call to get that next sale.    Not only unplugging for emails is the issue it’s also the Social Media Aspect as well.  I will also admit I’m addicted to knowing what my friends are up to via facebook.

Dear Me: YOU SUCK if you don’t unplug.  Why?  Well you've got family, friends, and a spouse who want your attention and deserve your attention.  PUT DOWN THE CELL PHONE!   You’re not going to die if you don’t know what Aunt Sally is doing today on facebook.  Oh and the world doesn’t care what I ate for breakfast this morning either and that I cut my grass today.  My kids care that I ate breakfast with them and that we worked on the yard today as a family.

The compromise is learning more about the ways to automate a lot of what you do.  Missing a sales call or email?  Use Marketing Automation and schedule a task to follow up with that lead the next day you’re in the office.  Ok got that?  But what about Social Media?  How can I stay on top of my Social Media Stalking opps I mean leads.  Check out Hootsuite ASAP!

So take this holiday season to learn about some of the “Tools” out there that can help you unplug and plug into the people who care about you.  I had a great Thanksgiving break this year b/c I put my cell phone, laptop, and tablet down and spent some good quality time with my kids and my family.  I can’t wait to do it again for the 4 day break for Christmas, and you should do the same.

No comments: